Your Labiaplasty Surgery Risks and Safety
While labiaplasty is regarded as one of the safer cosmetic surgery procedures, it still has risks associated with it similar to other surgical procedures.
The risk of complications is minimal as plastic surgeons report a complication rate of one percent in labiaplasty surgeries.
Double board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Wright Jones of Muse Plastic Surgery provides labiaplasty to patients in Atlanta, Buckhead, Stockbridge, Marietta, GA, and surrounding locations in this area of the Empire of the South State.
The common risks associated with labiaplasty plastic surgery are:
- Bleeding: Cutting into the labia will produce large quantities of blood as it contains numerous blood vessels. This bleeding can be reduced by using lasers to place the incisions. However, at times the bleeding may continue for a while. In some cases, the bleeding continues for up to 24 hours. Although rare, this bleeding can sometimes result in blood clots.
- Infection: Any surgery that involves incisions carries a risk of infection. Patients should follow the surgeon’s advice diligently before and after the surgery to minimize this risk. Hygiene is vital, and the patient should keep her vulva clean to lessen the risk of infection development. In case she suspects a complication, it is crucial for her to receive treatment as soon as possible. A majority of infections can be resolved effectively and rapidly with the use of antibiotics.
- Changes in Color: A labiaplasty may alter the color of the labia although this is a rare occurrence. Plastic surgeon to the stars Dr. Wright Jones provides safe and sustainable results with labiaplasty and other procedures.
- Scarring: While there is no way to avoid scarring entirely, the scars can be made inconspicuous by a highly skilled and experienced surgeon. The plastic surgeon will place the incisions in a manner that follows the natural contours of the labia. This will make the scars more discreet. The scars may seem prominent initially but gradually fade into thin lines over time. At times, the scars may cause pain during intercourse or childbirth. Young women should carefully consider this aspect. It is generally advisable to postpone any type of vaginal surgery until after childbirth. Pain while having sex may need to be resolved with revision surgery.
- Reduced Sensation: In rare cases, women have reported sensation loss within the area following a labiaplasty procedure. This condition may occur due to nerve damage but often resolves over time. However, sometimes the loss of sensation can be permanent.
- Hematoma: Some patients may have a disintegration of blood vessels in the area. Consequently, there is a localized accumulation of blood and the development of blood clots. Patients should monitor the incision areas and contact the surgeon immediately if they suspect hematoma.
- Creasing on the Skin: Patients may see wrinkle formation on the skin following a labiaplasty procedure. The skin stretches due to the incisions being placed on the skin during the surgery.
- Sexual Dysfunction: A labiaplasty procedure can sometimes lead to the loss of libido, reduced sensitivity, and other sexual problems.
The surgeon will highlight these risks to the patient and explain what steps she should take to avoid these complications. Celebrity plastic surgeon Dr. Wright Jones receives patients from Atlanta, Buckhead, Stockbridge, Marietta, GA, and other towns and cities in this region of the nation for labiaplasty.
See all plastic surgery procedures that Cosmetic Plastic Surgeon Dr. Wright Jones performs of the face, nose, body, and breast in and around Atlanta, Buckhead, Stockbridge, Marietta, GA and surrounding areas.