According to the statistics released by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, liposuction ranks as the number two cosmetic surgery procedure in the US today. While the success rate of the procedure has dramatically improved over the decades, liposuction still involves a considerable level of preparation to ensure safe and desirable outcomes.
A patient who is adequately prepared for liposuction will have better chances to achieve high satisfaction levels after the surgery. During the initial consultation, the plastic surgeon will provide detailed instructions about the pre-operative preparation process. Dr. Wright Jones is a double board certified plastic surgeon providing liposuction and various other surgical and non-surgical procedures to patients in Atlanta, Buckhead, Stockbridge, Marietta, GA, and surrounding communities.
Preparatory Steps for the Surgery
The patient will be required to take certain steps before the scheduled day of surgery, which may include:
- Arrange for previous health records and full disclosure about current health status before the cosmetic surgeon.
- Compile a list of all prescription and non-prescription medications, including herbal supplements and vitamins, to show to the surgeon.
- Undergo lab tests or x-rays as advised by the surgeon.
- Re-work the schedule of prescription drugs in consultation with the doctor.
- Quit smoking for at least a few weeks prior to liposuction as recommended by the surgeon.
- Complete any important tasks at home or office well before the surgery in order to remains stress-free during the initial recovery phase.
- Arrange for transportation to return home after the liposuction plastic surgery.
- Arrange in advance for aftercare for at least the first 48 hours after liposuction surgery.
The patient’s commitment to follow the surgeon’s guidelines for pre-op preparation will help to improve their chances of a safer surgery and speedier recovery.
Before the Surgery Day
Some simple guidelines need to be followed as part of the preparation process just a day before the liposuction surgery:
- Rest sufficiently and sleep early on the night before the surgery.
- Do not eat or drink anything for about eight hours prior to the surgery.
- Refrain from consuming alcohol for at least two days before the surgery.
- Avoid wearing any makeup, nail paint, jewelry, body piercings or contact lenses on the day of the surgery.
- Choose comfortable garments for the day of surgery. Loose fitting pants or shorts are preferable. The top should be front-button in case liposuction is performed in the upper body areas.
- In case of diabetics, the vital parameters should be checked on the morning of the surgery.
Other Aspects of Preparation
Some degree of pre-operative anxiety and stress is commonly seen in most patients. Therefore, the surgeon may prescribe a calming medication to be taken the night before the liposuction procedure.
The patient may make advance arrangements to keep pain meds, loose fitting clothes, pillows, ice packs and other essential items at home for a more convenient early recovery period. Dr. Jones receives patients from Atlanta, Buckhead, Stockbridge, Marietta, GA, and nearby areas.
See all plastic surgery procedures that Cosmetic Surgeon Dr. Wright Jones performs of the face, nose, body, and breast in and around Atlanta, Buckhead, Stockbridge, Marietta, GA and surrounding areas.