POST-WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY BODY CONTOURING
Bariatric (weight loss) surgeries, such as gastric bypass or lap band procedures, are potentially life-saving measures for patients whose health has declined as a result of complications associated with obesity. Unfortunately, dramatic weight reduction in a short period of time poses additional health and aesthetic challenges that can only be rectified through body contouring surgery. After undergoing significant weight loss, the body is unable to re-conform to its new, smaller proportions, and loose skin begins to accumulate in all areas where layers of fat previously existed. This unsightly excess skin hangs awkwardly on the body; may limit mobility, leading to sores and infection; makes it challenging to find clothing that fits appropriately; and often serves as an unwelcome reminder of one’s pre-weight loss physique.
Cosmetic body contouring surgery allows for the safe removal of this excess skin, enabling patients to finally see the true results of their weight loss efforts without loose skin detracting from their appearance. Body contouring surgery in general requires a high level of skillfulness, and when being performed on post-bariatric surgery patients, these procedures require an even greater level of precision and experience because the patient’s immune system may have been compromised after the initial surgery.
To click below to view real patient before and after images.
At his Atlanta-based private plastic surgery practice, Dr. Wright A. Jones understands the importance of precautionary measures when performing body contouring for post-bariatric surgery patients, and is pleased to offer a wide variety of body contouring options that are designed to effectively remove unwieldy hanging skin, and to provide a final step in the transformative weight loss journey.
- Arm Lift (Brachioplasty): involves the excision of persistent fat pockets and the removal of loose, hanging skin under the arms, in order to firm, lift and tighten the upper arm area, while enhancing the shape and contour of the entire arm.
- Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty): during a tummy tuck, excess fat is surgically removed from the middle and lower abdominal region; loose abdominal skin is excised; and the abdominal muscles are tightened and lifted, which helps to create lean, chiseled contours throughout the abdominal area.
- Thigh Lift (Thighplasty): involves the removal of excess sagging or loose thigh skin, and effectively sculpts, lifts, and tightens the inner and outer thigh areas to improve the shape and contour of the legs.
- Body Lift: surplus fat and sagging skin are removed in order to streamline the contours of the physique. Body lifts vary in terms of scope and extensiveness, and may address one or more of the following areas: abdomen (extending around the sides to the lower back region), buttocks, groin, and thighs (inner, outer, posterior, or circumferentially).
- Upper Back Lift: minimizes the appearance of sagging skin and tissue of the upper back (“back rolls”).
- Breast Lift: firms the breasts, and raises them to a more aesthetically desirable position on the chest wall.
- Flankplasty: reduces the appearance of excess skin and tissue around the waist and upper hips, which may give the appearance of a “muffin top” or “love handles”.
- Neck Lift and/or Facelift: eliminates sagging or drooping on the face and neck, and minimizes the appearance of jowls or a double chin.
- Buttocks Lift—excises surplus skin in the gluteal region in order to lift the position of a drooping buttocks, creating a more firm, toned posterior.
- Liposuction: while the “lift” procedures are designed to address problems of loose, hanging skin, liposuction is a surgical solution designed to address and reduce the appearance of persistent fatty deposits situated between the layers of muscle and skin, thereby enhancing the contours of the body and resulting in a more sculpted, toned physique. Common liposuction treatment areas include the: thighs, flanks, neck, arms, waist, abdomen, back, chest and buttocks; however, this procedure can be performed anywhere patients would like to remove excess fat.
View our photo gallery by clicking here.
During your initial consultation with Dr. Jones, he will assess your physical health and aesthetic goals in order to recommend one (or a combination) of the aforementioned body contouring procedures that he feels will provide optimal enhancement of your new, smaller physique after weight loss surgery.
CONTACT MUSE PLASTIC SURGERY
At Muse Plastic Surgery, Dr. Jones focuses not on changing the core aesthetic components of his patients, but rather on using cosmetic enhancement procedures to help them become the absolute best that they can be. Dr. Jones stays up-to-date with the latest developments and technological advances in the field of cosmetic body contouring surgery, and utilizes these cutting edge techniques to ensure naturally beautiful results and the safest possible procedures for his patients.
Dr. Jones believes in the importance of having well-informed patients, and will take the time to explain all of your body contouring options and procedural details, so that you feel completely comfortable about your surgery. If you would like additional information about body contouring surgeries that are ideally suited to meet the needs of post-bariatric surgery patients, please do not hesitate to contact the Muse Plastic Surgery office today. We look forward to speaking with you, and to scheduling your initial consultation with Dr. Jones.